Somehow, I missed the fact that EPC Global Gen2 v2.0 standard was passed end of last year (it appears, I missed a lot of things end of last year). Anyway, for those interested:
- Here’s the v2.0 spec.
- Here’s the v2.0 fact sheet (what’s new compared to v1.2 on a very high level).
- Here’s the v1.2 spec (for in-depth comparison).
- In 2014 the v2 spec should ratified as ISO/IEC 18000-63 standard.
The main enhancements are
- Cryptographic authentication of tags and readers, to verify identity and provenance, reduce the risk of counterfeiting and unauthorized access.
- Enhanced User Memory for supplementary encodings (such as maintenance logging) during a product’s life cycle.
- Untraceable function to hide portions of data, restrict access privileges and reduce a tag’s read range.
- “Non-removable” flag for embedded tagging of electronics and sewn-in tagging of apparel, to indicate that a tag cannot easily be removed without compromising the tagged product’s intended functionality
More information can be found on the GS1 Gen 2 page (EPC Global is a subsidiary of GS1). For those that are far away from the topic, the barcodes in supermarket, for example, are also standardised by GS1.